Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Lookin' Good Isn't Cheap: I'll tell you all my secrets!! Part 1

Let's face it, lookin' good is expensive! When you consider everything you're "supposed" to do to stay fresh, well groomed, and with the styles, the results will make your head spin and your wallet light. When it comes to the simple purchases in life, ie: beauty products, accessories, vintage clothes, nail polishes etc., I've become queen of finding the good deals. Today you're in luck, because I've decided to share with you some of my secrets. I'll let you know where to save money and what deserves the splurge, in every area of your life. Make sure you check in, because this post is a 5 parter.

Part 1: Hair - Cuts and Dyes

Hair isn't something to mess around with. I've had my share of bad hair cuts, bad dyes, bad EVERYTHING. Let's talk about the time when I decided to use the discount I received for working at the mall, at a mall salon. The gentleman gave me a great haircut and then asked me if he could take some "creative license". Not knowing specifically what he was speaking of, I said "Sure!" He proceeded to take a straight razor to my hair for about 15 minutes, resulting in a she-mullet that would make Billy Ray Cyrus cry and highlights that only zebras would envy. He STILL charged me $100, and did I mention this was right before my sister's wedding in which I was the maid-of-honor? After that day, I vowed never to visit a salon of someone unrecommended simply because it was a good deal. This leads me to tip #1.

NEVER CUT PRICE CORNERS WHEN IT COMES TO HAIRCUTS OR DYE TREATMENTS

Take your change to CoinStar, save up for 3 months if you have to, but this is not an area to be cheap. One bad hair cut or dye job, having to wait a year for your hair to grow back again and spending hundreds of dollars on moisturizing treatments so your hair doesn't fall out from the chemicals, will teach you the hard way.


If you're looking for a great stylist, who wants your hair to be as healthy as you do and will work with you to make sure it stays that way, go visit Kristen Linares at 13th & Washington in St. Louis. She always starts each appointment with a consultation to find out what look you're going for, what goals you have for your hair, and will tell you the best way to get there. I could not be happier with the results of my hair and will continue to use her as long as she'll have me! 13th & Washington's information is listed below!


Where you can save your pennies:

Okay, now for the tricks in cutting corners. Normally, I would teach that it's very important to put quality products and ingredients on your hair. This is still true, but I feel that it's not necessary to spend $50 on a bottle of shampoo if you can find the same thing for much cheaper! It's still very important to read the labels. Keep your hair free of chemicals that will dry it out, or clog your follicles. Clogging the follicles will keep your hair from growing at it's normal pace, and for some men, keep the hair from growing completely. Now, I have not tried all these products below, but I feel I can trust the companies being represented. All of these products are vegan, animal-cruelty free, and check out the prices!! Nothing here above $19.95. Remember that if you have healthy hair, you won't have to buy expensive products to maintain your look. Also keep in mind, that it's beauty comes from the inside out, so make sure you eat right, take any necessary vitamins and drink lots of water!























Products compiled from Peta.org Top 5 Vegan and Cuelty-Free Hair Care Products.


No comments:

Post a Comment