We're in our second season of beekeeping and learning a lot about the amazing things honey can do! Check out some of these brilliant ways to use honey and learn a little bit more about what it can do. You'll be amazed!
1. Honey as a natural antiseptic - Rub a little on burns, scrapes and cuts to use as a natural and organic Neosporin.
2. Honey in your hair - Put some honey in a jar to keep in your shower. After you shampoo, rub a little honey on your ends. Condition the rest of your hair and rinse out. This will help keep your ends from getting frizzy throughout the day and keep 'em shiny!
3. Honey for a Hangover? - That's right. Honey is riddled with fructose that speeds up the metabolism of alcohol. Put a little on your toast in the morning or scoop a tablespoon in your tea instead of reaching for the ibuprofen bottle.
4. Honey for your skin - With the natural moisturizers in honey, it's perfect for your skin! Rub a little on your dry elbows or make into a face mask. Did I mention honey is great for acne? It helps get rid of the bacteria that can from those pesky blemishes.
Take 1 tablespoon of honey, 2 tablespoons of ground almond and 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice for an amazing face mask that will moisturize and help clear you skin!
5. Honey instead of Sugar - Honey and it's natural sweetness is a so great for you! Your body can process it a lot easier than regular sugar and is such a great substitute when you're cooking or baking. For every cup of sugar a recipe calls for, replace it with 3/4 cup of honey.
6. Honey infusions to add a little kick to your meals - Check out some great ways to spice up your honey! The Ginger Lime Honey is great for your tea, or when you're feeling sick and need a little throat soothing. The Hot Pepper Honey is great to add a little zing to your cheese platter, or for a little energy kick in the morning.
GINGER LIME HONEY
1 cup honey
8 slices fresh ginger
2 limes, zest only
1. Bring all ingredients just to a boil in a small saucepan, then reduce heat to low and simmer for five minutes.
2. Remove from heat and let sit for ten minutes. Strain and cool.
HOT PEPPER HONEY
1 cup honey
2 jalapenos, quartered, or 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1. Combine ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove from heat, cool, and strain.
Syd/O, Human Holiday!